Monday, April 19, 2010

Returning to a Role: Dale Yim and Hana's Suitcase


Dale is a Toronto-based theatre artist, whose credits include: playing the Master of Ceremonies in R. Murray Schafer's The Palace of the Cinnabar Phoenix (Patria Projects), playing Sheldon in the Dora-nominated cast of Banana Boys (fu-GEN/Factory), sound design for A Summer’s Day (Play Inc Theatre), sound design for Fear and Misery of the Third Reich (Deus XM/Summerworks), and stage management for Hallaj (Modern Times). Upcoming credits include: The Complex (Bound to Create/Fringe), and The Adventures of Chuck and Friends (Nelvana/Hasbro).

Q: How does it feel to be doing the Hana's Suitcase again?
A: I've been playing Akira for the last three (out of four) runs of Hana's Suitcase that LKTYP has done. When I first started the role, I was really, really nervous. Like REALLY really. The first Akira (ever) was played by Richard Lee, who was really, really good (and who's also one of my best friends). Could I be as good of an Akira as my friend? What if I'm really bad and the director doesn't like me? What if Hana comes to my room as a ghost because she's so mad at how badly I'm telling her story?!

She never did. And Allen keeps asking me to do the role again (and again), so I must be doing something right. =)

I'm still really, really nervous, though. I think it's because I believe so much in this story that I want to make sure that we do a good job telling it. It's so important and so incredible on many levels, and I'm terribly honoured to be a part of it. So even after a hundred performances, I'm still just as nervous and excited as I was on my first day. I'm glad I have smaller tasks to focus on during the show!

Q: Is the show different this time?

A: Sort of not, but totally yes. Though the show is essentially the same in terms of design and overall direction, having a newly-built set (with nicer doors!) and some new cast breathes a fresh air and gives it a great new energy! (Three of the eight cast members this time are totally new to the show). In some ways, it feels like I'm working on a new show with familiar faces. I'm not sure if the rest of the returning cast and crew will agree with me, but this incarnation of the show seems to be slightly warmer and clearer than previous ones. That might just be my own experience.

Playing Akira certainly feels different for me: I think he's slightly older, though (strangely) more naive. There's a greater sense of inquisitiveness and discovery this time around. I'm taking this opportunity to discover the show anew: I printed out a clean script for myself, and decidedly refrained from referring to my old one. Having a new Maiko (the fabulous Zoe Doyle, with whom I share all of my scenes) forces me to listen to the words afresh and react in new ways. I've also changed a bit since 2006; I like to think that I've matured, though I'm not sure if anyone else would notice a difference. I'm also not sure if being 'more mature' is a good thing when I'm playing a young person.

We didn't have as much time in rehearsal for the first tour, so I remember that there were moments where I felt unclear of what I was doing on stage, and I didn't feel like I could change them. It's a rare gem for actors like me to be able to revisit a part and refine our choices, and Allen is wonderful at encouraging the specifics and mining out the truthfulness of each action. It's such a treat to work with him and to watch him work with the other cast members! I'm really glad that we have a longer rehearsal period to explore and refine every detail. I'm much happier with my choices this time around. But I'm still really nervous!

Q: What's your favourite thing about working on Hana's Suitcase?
A: There are three things that blow my mind when I think about this show.
1. I love working at LKTYP. It's a truly special place with truly special people. It's also where I saw my first theatre show when I was a young person. It haad a profound impact on me. And now I'm working at the same theatre, making an impact on other young people.
2. We get to tell Hana's story.
3. Hana gets to be a teacher of young people all over the world. In fact, she's one of the world's most famous teachers now. (Booyah!)


No comments:

Post a Comment